director & video artist
Alican Durbaş was born in Istanbul, Turkey, in 1986. After graduating from Arts Management at Yeditepe University in Istanbul, he received his MA degree in Arts Management at the same department. Durbaş predominantly works on film and video. He made short films, which were screened in various international film festivals. He participated in many exhibitions in Turkey and abroad with his video works. He is one of the collaborators of Plastic Crowds artistic collective. He shoot a documentary of “City and Art Project” consisting of a forum, introducing its workshops and exhibitions in five European cities, which is organized by European Cultural Association, and which is implemented by Mimar Sinan Fine Arts University under the coordination of Secretariat General of EU Affairs in 2009. He attended the Berlinale Talents as director (in Sarajevo Film Festival) in 2011. He worked as an assistant director in some commercials and feature films like “Taken 2”, “Skyfall”, “Dil Dhadakne Do”, A War (Krigen)”, “Ali and Nino”, “Inferno”, “The Ottoman Lieutenant”, “Butterflies”, “I am You” and “The Protector (Netflix Original Series)”. He currently lives and works in Istanbul.
SEEING IN TONGUES – Los Angeles Center for Digital Art, USA
14.06.2018 – 07.07.2018
- Curated by The Film and Video Poetry Society
IMMATERIAL COLLECTION II, 02: Liminal Space – Beirut Art Center, Lebanon
- Curated by BAC’s visiting researcher Joy Stacey, “Immaterial Collection II: Forum” brings together video works by the acclaimed artists in Beirut Art Center’s Media Library with new works selected from the open call to artists from the NEMA region, creating forums for conversation between two unique collections of artworks. Over 100 established and early career artists submitted work, inspiring connections with works in the Media Library. Selected videos from each have been screened in a series of four distinct forums to stimulate conversation and debate over drinks on the terrace afterwards.
SURPLUS – REM Art Space, Istanbul, Turkey
03.06.2016 – 03.07.2016
- “Surplus” is the first group exhibition of “Support Art Ist” which is founded for supporting young artists and enhancing their visibility.
PORT CITY TALKS. ISTANBUL. ANTWERP. – MAS-Museum Aan de Stroom, Antwerp, Belgium
23.10.2015 – 24.01.2016
- The exhibition curated by Murat Tabanlıoğlu is one of the events of the International Europalia Art Festival.
CONNECTING THE DOTS: WORKSHOPS – Pera Museum, Istanbul, Turkey
06.08.2013 – 22.09.2013
- The exhibition features a selection of works from the workshops of the 6th International Triennial in collaboration with Marmara University Faculty of Fine Arts.
WATER WORK – Siemens Art Gallery, Istanbul, Turkey
09.03.2013 – 14.04.2013
- Initiated and curated by Ass. Prof. Mürteza Fidan, Dr. Vincent W.J. van Gerven Oei, Prof. T. Melih Görgün and Gosse de Kont.
MIRROR (in development) – short fiction
Approx. 10’, 2019
SOIL – short experimental
AKİS – short fiction
THE BOAT – short fiction/animation
SIDE BY SIDE – short fiction
CITY AND ART DOCUMENTARY – documentary
PAPERS – short fiction